Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire
(Magna Britannia Vol. 5)
Chelmorton - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL]
The township of Chelmorton is esteemed parcel of the King's manor of the High-peak, on lease to the Duke of Devonshire. The Talbot family had a subordinate manor in Chelmorton, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, in which they were succeeded by the Eyres of Hassop; it is now the property of the Earl of Newburgh. In the chapel are memorials of Edward Brereton, Gent., 1680, George Dale of Flagg, 1683, etc. There was a chapel at Chelmorton as early as the year 1282, at which time the prior of Lenton in Nottinghamshire had two thirds, and the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield the remainder of the tithes. The prior and the dean and chapter were bound to provide, jointly, books and ornaments for the chapel; and the dean and chapel a piest, with a stipend of five marks. The Duke of Devonshire was impropriator in 1805; an act of parliament passed that year for inclosing lands in the townships of Chelmorton and Flagg, by which allotments were asigned in lieu of tithes. The minister is appointed by the vicar of Bakewell. There is a Presbyterian meeting house at Chelmorton, The Wesleyan Methodists have congregatons at Chelmorton and Flagg, a township in the chapelry, which is esteemed to be within the King's manor of the High-Peak. There is a charity school at Chelmorton, to which Mr. Brocklehurst, who died in 1792, gave the sum of 200 pounds, vested in the commissioners for the Leak and Buxton road; but it has produced no interest for many years; and the master has no other benefit than the use of the house in which he resides.Return to top of page [From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann Ayars, 22nd Aug 2001]