CHELMORTON, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2539
1891 R.G. 12 / 2774
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"CHELMORTON, a chapelry in the parish of Bakewell, in the hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 4 miles S.W. of Tideswell, and 7 W. of Bakewell. It is situated at the foot of a high hill. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the ribbon manufacture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £78, in the patronage of the Vicar of Bakewell. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a stone building with a fine spire, built in the year 1111."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

The parish lies 7 miles west of Bakewell and 4.5 miles south-east of Buxton, It covered about 1,954 acres in 1857.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Chelmorton/index.html