Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire
(Magna Britannia Vol. 5)
Chesterfield - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 75]
CHESTERFIELD is the chief town of the hundred of Scarsdale, and of the deanery to which it gives name. Its distance from Derby is 24 miles; from London, 150. The name seems to import that it had been the site of an ancient castle, and probably a Roman station. It does not appear to have existed as a town before the Norman conquest. In the Survey of Domesday, Cestrefeld is described as a hamlet of Newbold, which was ancient demesne of the crown. Soon after the compilation of that Survey, the manor of Chesterfield was given to William Peverell, [Tr: That scamp!] the younger, after he had fled the kingdom, on account of the murder of the Earl of Chester. King John, in 1204, granted the manor of Chesterfield, with Brimington and Whittington,and the whole wapentake of Scarsdale, to William Briwere. Isabel, one of the coheiresses of William Briwere, the younger, brought this manor to Baldwin Wake (see Dugdale's Baronage); from whose family it passed, by an heir female, to Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent. In the year 1442, Richard Nevill, Earl of Salisbury, became possessed of the manor of Chesterfield, in right of Alice, his wife, one of the coheiresses of Earl Edmund. In the year 1472, and act of parliament passed, by which the castle of Scarborough, with lands in Yorkshire, were given to Anne, Duchess of Gloucester, one of the coheiresses of Richard, the succeeding Earl of Salisbury, in exchange for the manor of Chesterfield. It appears, nevertheless, that is was afterward possessed by Margaret, Countess of Salisbury, daughter and heiress of Isabel, Duchess of Clarence, the Duchess of Gloucester's sister; and that she gave it to George, Earl of Shrewsbury, in exchange for other estates. William, Earl of Newcastle, purchased this manor of the Shrewsbury family. Having descended, in the same manner as Bolsover, to the late Duke of Portland, the manor of Chesterfield and the hundred of Scarsdale, were exchanged by him, in 1792, with the late Duke of Devonshire, for some estates in Nottinghamshire; and they are now vested in the present Duke. King John, by his charter of 1204, granted a weekly market at Chesterfield, on Saturday, and a fair for eight days, at the festival of the Holy Rood. The market at Chesterfield, which is still held on Saturday, is for corn (particularly wheat and oats) and all kinds of provisions. The Quo Warranto Roll of 1330 mentions the Holy-Rood fair; and another on the eve of Palm-Sunday. The charter of 1631 grants four fairs: February 28; May 4, for two days; July 4; and September 14, for eight days The present fairs are, January 27; February 28; the first Saturday in April; May 4; July 4; September 25; and November 25. All these are for cattle, etc. The last mentioned is the statute-fair, for hiring servants; the February fair is for horses, chiefly of the draught kind; the Michaelmas fair has a great supply of cheese, apples, onions, etc. The fairs in January, April, and November, were first established in 1750. King John's charter, already mentioned, made Chesterfield a free borough, and granted to the burgesses the same privileges which were enjoyed by those of Nottingham. Queen Elizabeth in 1594 granted them a new charter of incorporation; under which the corporate body consists of a mayor, six aldermen, six bretheren, and twelve common-council, or capital burgesses, with a town-clerk, and other officers. The assizes were held at Chesterfield, in the month of March, 1638, (probably on account of the plague). The Michaelmas sessions were held at Chesterfied, from the year 1618 to the year 1797; since that time, the Midsummer sessions have been held at Chesterfield, and the Michaelmas sessions at Derby. The present town-hall was erected about the year 1790, from the designs of Mr. Carr, of York. It appears, by the Chantry Roll, that there were, in the parish of Chesterfield, in 1547, about 2000 persons of 16 years of age. (Howselyng people; of an age to receive the communion, to which they were admitted at 16 years of age) In the month of December, 1788 the town of Chesterfield was found, by an actual enumeration, to contain 801 houses, and 3626 inhabitants. In 1801, there were 895 houses, and 4267 inhabitants; in 1881, 951 houses, and 4476 inhabitants; according to the returns made to parliament at those periods. [Ed: This book is dated 1817 - 1881 probably should read 1811] The principal manufactures of the town are, cotton hose, woollen gloves, hats, and brown earthenware. There is a large iron-foundry, adjoining the town, whence cast iron is sent to every part of the kingdom. During the war, the proprietors had extensive contracts with government for cannon-balls, shells, etc. Saltworks were established at Chesterfield in 1715; the rock salt was brought from Northwich: but it was, ere long, abandoned as an unprofitable concern. (see Pegge's collections). We find few historical events relating to this town. Robert de Ferrars, Earl of Derby, being in rebellion against King Henry III., in the year 1266, was defeated near Chesterfield, by Henry, son of the King of Almain. The earl flew for shelter to the church, where he concealed himself, but was discovered by the treachery of a woman [!], and taken prisoner. During the civil war of the seventeenth Century, the Earl of Newcastle came to Chesterfield with his forces in the month of March, 1643, and again in the month of November of that same year. It was probably at one of these periods that the action happened, in which he is said to have defeated a body of the Parliamentary army at Chesterfield. Chesterfield gives the title of Earl to the Stanhope family. The creation took place in 1628. The parish church of Chesterfield is a spacious edifice, built in the form of a cross, with a singularly twisted wooden spire, 230 feet in height, covered with lead. In the chapel and its south aisle, are several monumuents to the ancient family of Foljambe, of Walton, in this parish. On a slab within the altar-rails, are the figures of Sir Godfrey Foljambe, who died in 1541, and his wife Katharine, daughter of John Leake, Esq., of Sutton, who died in 1529. (see Pegge's collection: Sir Godfrey is described as one of the King's council. The arms of Leake are on the Lady's surcoat). At the east end of the Foljambe aisle is an altar tomb for Henry Foljambe, Esq., who died 1519 (father of the above mentioned Sir Godfrey); there are the monuments also of Sir James Foljambe (son of Sir Godfrey) who died in 1558, and Sir Godfrey, son of Sir James by his first wife, a coheiress of Fitzwilliam, of Aldwark in Yorkshire, who died in 1585. (The second wife of Sir James: Constance, daughter of Sir Edward Littleton, was living at a great age in 1587, when she was apprehended as a recusant by Sir Godfrey Foljambe, her husband's grandson.[.nice guy!..] After having been detained in custody two years, she was set at liberty. (see Lodge's Illustrations of British History, vol ii, 372-375). The inscriptions on the last two have been lately restored. Sir Godfrey Foljambe, son of the last-mentioned, was buried at Chesterfield in 1595; there is a handsome monument of the Foljambe family, besides those already mentioned, with no inscription, and the date of 1592. (It is on the south wall of the aisle. Underneath it is an altar tomb, with the effigies of a man in armour, and his lady, on a mattress. All the Foljambe monuments are within an inclosure, at the east end of the south aisle of the chancel). In the chancel, also are the tomb of John Pepys, chaplain of the chantry of the Holy Cross; the monument of Mary wife of the Honourable Morgan Vane, of Beilby in Nottinghamshire, 1771; and memorials of the families of Milnes of Dunston, and Aldercar, Webster, Heathcote, and Burton; the monument of Thomas Smith, Esq., of Dunston, 1811, and Dorothy, wife of Anthony Lax Maynard Esq. (daughter of the Reverend Ralph Heathcote, 1811). In the south transept is the tomb of Dr. John Verdon, chaplain of the chantry of St. Michael, who died 1500. There are memorials also for Robert Halifax (1769), father of Dr. Samuel Halifax, Bishop of St. Asaph; and some of the Calton family. In the nave is the monument of Adam Slater, MD, 1758. In Bassano's volume of Church notes there are described, among others, the tombs of Mr. Richard Milnes, 1628; Richard Taylor, alderman of Chesterfield, 1637; George Taylor, Esq., of Durant-hall, 1668; William Champernown, Gent. 1688; Francis Stevenson, of Unston, Gent.,1690; and Mr. Richard Flintham, 1705. There is an epitaph for Flintham: "A loyal faithful servant of King Charles II, and to his loving brother King James II, was to them both, gentleman of the wine cellar for many years, and continued to the abdication (as it was called) of King James, who, when he was Duke of York, did attend him at sea, being with him in his flag ship, in that sea fight when he gave that total defeat to the Dutch; so also did attend him into Scotland, both times that King Charles constituted his brother Lord High Commissioner into Scotland, for settling epicsopal church government, with ease and much satisfaction and content to the kingdom. He also was one of his Royal Highness' attendants at that time, when the phanatic houmour made the king so uneasy, that he was constrained to send him for some time thither. He was a faithful man to his friend, and departed this life the 25th of October, 1705, which confinement he had undergone from near the beginning of King William's reign, his wines and plate being all seis'd on(which was very considerable) for the King, and utterly ruined by the Revolution." The church of Chesterfield, with its chapels, was given by William Rufus to the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln; and about the year 1100, it was appropriated to the Dean and his successors. Ever since that time the Deans of Lincoln have been Lords of the rectorial manor, appropriators of the great tithes, and patrons of the vicarage. John Billinglsey, who wrote against the Quakers, was ejected from this vicarage in 1662. Godfrey Foljambe, of Walton who died in 1595, bequeathed a rent-charge of 40 pounds per annum, as the endowment of a lectureship at Chesterfield, the patronage of which he vested in the Archbishop of York. [To be continued] There were formerly three charities in the church of Chesterfield the chantry of St. Michael, founded in the year 1357 by Roger de Chesterfield, the revenues of which were valued, in 1547, at 11 pounds, 7s. 3d per annum; that of the Holy Cross, founded by Hugh Draper, valued at 10 pounds, 6s, 8d; and the gild of the Alderman, brethern and Sisters of the Virgin Mary and the Holy Cross, endowed, in 1392, by Thomas Dur and others, and valued, in 1547, at 15 pounds, 10s per annum. There was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas, in Halliwell-street, the remains of which form part of a barn and stable; another dedicated to St. Helen, which, after the reformation, was appropriated to the use of the school; and a third, dedicated to St. James, at the Lord's-mill bridge. Of the last mentioned, there are no traces. There was a meeting house at Chesterfield about the middle of the seventeenth century, which in the process of time, was endowed with sundry benefactions. In the year 1703, an agreement was made between the congregations of the Presbyterians and the Independents, by which they were to have the joint use of the meeting-house, each minister having his alternate turn in the service. John Billingsley, son of Mr. Billingsly before-mentioned, was sometime minister of the Presbyterian congregation; he published a discourse on Schism, an Exposition of the Epistle of St. Jude, Sermons against Popery, etc. The congregation of this meeting-house are now Unitarians; there are meeting-houses also for the Independents, Quakers, Wesleyan Methodists, and Kilhamites. The grammar school at Chesterfield was founded soon after the Reformation, when the chapel of St. Helen's was converted into a school-house, Godfrey Foljambe, Esq., who died in 1595, gave an endowment of 13 pounds 6s 8d per annum to the master. Mr. Alderman Large, who died in 1664, gave an addition of 3 pounds per annum; Cornelius Clarke, Esq., in or about the year 1664, gave 15 pounds per annum to the master, and the same sum for an usher. Mr. James Linguard, fellow of Brazen-nose College, gave 8 pounds per annum. The upper master's income is now 60 pounds per annum, besides a house and garden, valued at 20 pounds per annum.. There has been no addition to Mr. Clarke's benefaction to the usher. The school and the master's house were rebuilt in 1710. Mr. Clarke founded by his will a preparatory school, called the Petty-school, to which he gave 5 pounds per annum. The present salary of the master is 10 pounds. The corporation appoint the masters of both schools. Natives of Chesterfield have a preference (after founder's kin) for the scholarships and fellowships of Beresford's foundation, at St. John's college in Cambridge. There was an ancient hospital of lepers at Chesterfield, dedicated to St. Leonard, which existed before the year 1195, when a rent charge of 6 pounds per annum, payable out of the manor, was assigned to the brethren in lieu of their fair. The patronage of this hospital was annexed to the manor: Francis, Earl of Shrewsbury claimed it on the same grounds in 1547. We suppose the site of this hospital to have been at a place called Spital, near the Rother, about half a mile south-east of the town, which belonged formerly to the Jenkinsons, and was sold by the co-heiresses of Woodyear to the late Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, Bart. The house was many years occupied by the family of Bourne, and now by Mr. John Charge, attorney at law, who married one of the daughters of the Reverend John Bourne. In the year 1678 Charles Scrimshire, Esq., of Norbury in Staffordshire, (afterwards Sir Charles), built an alms-house for six poor women, pursuant to the will of George Taylor, Esq., of Durant-hall, who died in 1668, having bequeathed a sum of money for that purpose, and a rent-charge of 16 pounds per annum for the endowment. The pensioners were to have 38s 4d each monthly, coals, and a gown once in two years. Mr. Francis Moore, in 1715, gave a small yearly benefaction to the poor in Taylor's hospital. The corporation are trustees. In the year 1703, an almshouse for three poor persons, was built pursuant to the intention of Mr. Thomas Large, alderman of Chesterfield, who died in 1664, having bequeathed 40 pounds per annum for the endowment; but no funds having been appropriated for the building, it became necessary to let the annual income accumulate for that purpose. Mrs. Sarah Roll added two dwellings to this alms-house. Under Mr. Large's will, the pensioners in his house were to have 5 pounds, 3s per annum, and a gown every year. They have now 5 pounds 4s being 2s per week each. Mrs. Roll gave the sum of 20 pounds for the endowment of the additional pensioners which having been laid out in houses, produces 8 pounds per annum. Her pensioners receive 1s 6d a week each and a gown every year. Mrs. Hannah Hooper, by her will, bearing date 1755, gave the sum of 2000 pounds three per cents, for the maintenance of six poor women (widows or maids, being 50 years of age or upwards) who shall have lived in or been parishioners of Chesterfield for seven years and not have received alms. This bequest took effect in 1762. The venerable Dr. Pegge, the well known antiquary, author of the Lives of Bishop Grossetette and his friend Roger de Wescham, the History of Beauchief-Abbey, of Bolsover and Peak castles, several treatises on coins and other antiquarian subects, was born at Chesterfield in 1704. He died rector of Whittington in 1796. The extensive parish of Chesterfield comprizes the townships of Calow, Hasland, Newbold and Dunston, Tapton and Walton; the villages of Cutthorp, Hady, etc., and the parochial chapelries of Brampton, Brimington, Temple-Normanton, and Wingerworth. The manor of Calow belonged successively to the families of Breton, Loudham, and Foljambe; it is now the property of Earl Manvers, in whose family it has been for a considerable time. Hasland passed in marriage with one of the coheiresses of William Briwere, jun., to Ralph de Midleham. The Duke of Devonshire is now Lord of the Manor [Tr: of course!] it having been included in the exchange before-mentioned with the Duke of Portland. A younger branch of the Leakes were, for some generations, of Hasland-hall, of which John Linacre died seised in 1488. About the middle of the 17th century, Hasland-Hall belonged to Colonel Roger Molineux, who sold it to Captain John Lowe, of the Alderwasley family (see Pegge); it is now the property and residence of Thomas Lucas, whose ancester purchased it of the Lowes in 1727. The manor of Boysthorpe, which, in the reign of Henry VI was in severalties, belonging to Longfords and others, is deemed parcel of the manor of Hasland, before-mentioned. The great manor of Newbold, described in the Domesday survey as having six berwicks or hamlets, of which Chesterfield was one, was parcel of the ancient demesne of the crown; it afterwards belonged to the abbot and convent of Welbeck, to whom Hugh Wake, in the reign of Henry III, released the quit-rent due to him by inheritance of the Briweres. At the time of the dissolution of monasteries, it was parcel of the possessions of Beauchief-abbey, and appears to have been granted to Sir William West, whose son, Edmund West, Esq., sold it in the year 1570 to Anthony and Gervase Eyre. Thomas Eyre, of Newbold, a zealous royalist, was governor of Welbeck, under the Earl of Newcastle. It is said, that being a captain of a troop, he was three times in one action personally engaged with Cromwell and obliged him to retreat. The manor of Newold is now the property of the Duke of Devonshire [Tr: naturally!], having been included in the before-mentioned exchange. [Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5, page 83] Highfield, in Newbold, came into the family of Eyre by marriage with the heiress of Miles of that place. It is now the property and residence of Vincent Henry Eyre, Esq. He is proprietor also of a Roman Catholic chapel at Newbold, which has been the burial place of the family. The manor of Dunston and Holme, now esteemed parcel of the Duke of Devonshire's manor of Newbold, was given by Matthew de Hathersage, to the prior and convent of Lenton in Nottinghamshire. King Henry VIII granted it to Francis Leake, Esq. A younger son of the Eyres of Padley, having married the heiress of Whittington, settled at Holme-hall about the middle of the fifteenth century, as lessee, probably, under the priory of Lenton. Thomas Eyre, Esq., who died in 1595, sold Holme-hall to the Leakes, already possessed of the manor under King Henry's grant. Dunston-hall some time belonging to the family of Milnes, is now the property and residence of Mrs. Smith, grand-daughter and heiress of the late Richard Milnes, Esq. The manor of Tapton passed by marriage with one of the coheiresses of William Briwere, the younger, to Ralph de Midleham. Tapton was held under the Briweres and their heirs by the family of Brimington, from when it passed, in the reign of Edward III, partly by marriage and partly by purchase to the Stuffyns of Sherbroke, in this county. It was afterwards, for some generations, in the family of Durant. The heiress of Durant married Alsop. In the year 1637 Durant Alsop and Thomas Alsop sold the manor of Tapton and Durant-hall to George Taylor, Esq. Sir Charles Scrimshire, the heir of Mr. Taylor, sold the estate to Thomas Gladwin, Esq., of Tupton-hall, in North Winfield, one of whose co-heiresses married Cox ( The other daughter married Dr. Bourne, of Spital). In 1746 the manor of Tapton and Durant-hall were purchased of Dr. William Cox and Martha his wife, by Mr. Adam Slater, of Chesterfield, (afterwards M. D.) who rebuilt Durant-hall, now the property and residence of his son, Adam Barker Slater, Esq. Tapton-hall is a farm house. Walton lies about a mile and a half west of Chesterfield. The manor of Walton was the property, and Walton-hall for some generations the seat, of the ancient family of Breton, whose heiress brought it to Sir John Loudham. Sir John Loudham, the younger, having died without issue,in or about the year 1392, his sisters and coheirs brought the estate in moieties, to Thomas Foljambe, Esq. and Sir John Beckering.The Foljambes eventually became possessed of the whole, and Walton-hall was their chief seat, till Sir Francis Foljambe, who had been created a baronet in 1622, sold it, in 1633 to Sir Arthur Ingram the elder, and Sir Arthur Ingram the younger. The Ingrams, in or about the year 1636, sold Walton to Mr. Paul Fletcher, by whom it was bequeathed to his nephew, Richard Jenkinson. Paul Jenkinson, son of Richard, was created a baronet in 1685. The title became extinct by the death of Sir Jonathan, the third Baronet, in 1741. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Paul, the second baronet, being possessed of this estate, gave it to her mother. Lady Jenkinson bestowed it on her second husband, William Woodyear, Esq., of whose heir, John Woodyear, Esq., of Crookhill, near Doncaster, it was purchased, in 1813, by the late Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, Bart., and is now the property of his son. The remains of Walton-hall have been fitted up as a farm-house. Park-hall, on the site of the old mansion of the Foljambes, is now a farm-house. There was formerly a chapel at Walton, the walls of which were standing a few years ago. It appears to have been a domestic chapel.Sir Roger Breton is said to have had a licence for a chantry in his chapel at Walton in the reign of Henry III. An estate at Walton, on which is now a house, the property and residence of Joshua Jebb, Esq., was sold by the Jenkinsons to the family of Soresby, with whose heiress it passed to Milnes, of Cromford: it was purchased of the heirs of Milnes in 1768 by Samuel Jebb, Esq., father of the present proprietor, The parochial chapelry of Brampton lies about two miles northwest from Chesterfield. It comprises the hamlets, or villages, of Ashgate, Hallcliff, Holy-Moor-Side, and Watshelf, or Watchell. The Survey of Domesday describes three manors in Brampton (Brantune): two of which belonged to Ascoit Musard, the third to Walter Deincourt. The two former appear to have been united at an early period. This manor of Brampton was given by King Henry II to Peter de Brampton,whom we suppose to have been the second son of Matilda de Cauz, or Caus, heiress of the barony of Caus, by her second husband, Adam de Birkin. The grandson of this Peter assumed the name of De Caus. This family became extinct, in the male line, about the year 1460; two of the coheiresses married Ash and Baguley, or Balguy. The whole of the manor of Brampton, otherwise Caus-hall, became eventually, by purchase, the property of the Earls of Shrewsbury: it was purchased of the Shrewsbury family by the Earl of Newcastle; and was, in 1641, valued at 142 pounds.4s 8d per annum. Having passed with other estates to the late Duke of Portland, it was included in an exchange with the late Duke of Devonshire, and now belongs to the present Duke. Birley-grange, which belonged formerly to the monastary at Lowth; Linacre, formerly esteemed a subordinate manor, the property and residence of the ancient family of Linacre; (Robert Linacre, who died in 1512, was seised of the Linacre-hall, and a manor in Brampton, held under the Earl of Shrewsbury) and Wadescel now Watchell, or Watshelf, which took its name from Wade, the Saxon owner in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and had been given by the Musards to Beauchief Abbey, are now all parcel of the manor of Brampton. The Abbot and Convent of Rufford had lands in Brampton, which were granted by Henry VIII, to the Earl of Shrewsbury, and have passed with the manor. The manor which belonged to the Deincourts passed with Sutton to the Leakes; was conveyed with that to the Clarkes; and the estate, which has not of late possessed any manerial rights, is now vested in the marchioness of Ormond as representative of the last-mentioned family. The Clarkes of Chilcote had formerly a seat at Somersall, or Summershall, and another family of the same name at Ashgate, in this chapelry. Somersall is now a farm-house belonging to the Marchioness of Ormond; Ashgate is the property and residence of Mr. John Gorall Barnes. Wigley, in this chapelry, was the original residence of the ancient family of Wigley, of Wigwell. In the church are several monuments for the family of Clarke, of Summersall, and Chilcote, and a mutilated alabaster slab for Phillip----who died in 1517. (The monuments: Nicholas Clarke, of Summersall, Gent 1589; Godfrey Clarke, his son, 1634; Jane, wife of Godfrey, and daughter of Michael Grundy, of Thurgarton, 1604; Gilbert Clarke, son of Godfrey, 1650; Helen, wife of Gilbert, daughter and heir of John Clarke, of Codnor, 1643; Grace, his second wife, daughter of Peter Columbell, of Darley, 1656; Godfrey Clarke, son of Gilbert, 1670; Elizabeth first wife of Godfrey, daughter of Sir Thomas Milward, 1645; Elizabeth, his second wife, was one of the coheiresses of Nicholas Freville, and relict of Robert Byerley, Esq; Sir Gilbert Clarke, of Somersall, who put up the monument, married, 1. Jane, heiress of Robert Byerley. Esq, above-mentioned, and 2. Barbara, daughter of George Clerke [Tr: no "a" here] Esq. of Northhamptonshire; Godfrey Clarke, Esq., of Chilcote, MP for the county in 1734. The ancient monument of Matilda de Cauz has already been described (in the account of Ancient Sepulcrhral Monuments). Bassano's volume of Church Notes, taken about the year 1710, describes an ancient tomb of " Hiskanda, Domina de Brampton", without date,and some memorials of the family of Jackson ( Cornelius Jackson, 1675; John Jackson, 1681. Cornelius married the heiress of James Bullock; the heiress of Jackson married Henry Beresford, Esq., who was buried at Brampton before 1710, but there was no memorial for him...from Bassano's Church notes), who inherited from the Bullocks, and were succeeded by the Beresfords in the possession of an ancient mansion in Brampton, now a farm house, the property of Mr. Dixon. There was formelry a chantry in this chapel, founded by Hugh Ingram. Brampton is now esteemed a separate parish; and indeed, is said to have been long so deemed at the time of the making of the Chantry Roll, in 1547. The tithes are appropriated to the Dean of Lincoln, who appoints the perpetual curate. In the year 1723, Godfrey Watkinson, Esq., gave 100 pounds and Dr. Godolphin, Dean of St. Paul's 100 pounds for procuring Queen Anne's bounty for this benefice. An act of parliament, for inclosing lands in the chapelry of Brampton, passed in 1815. In the year 1682, Cornelius Clarke, of Norton, gave 10 pounds per annum, for the purpose of teaching 12 boys of this chapelry. Sundry other benefactions to the amount of above 8 pounds per annum were given to this school. But much of the endowment must have been lost, the whole of the present income being stated at between 9 and 10 pounds per annum. Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5 Derbyshire, page 87: Brimington lies about two miles northeast from Chesterfield. The manor, which had been an appendage of Newbold, was successively in the families of Breton, Loudham, and Foljambe. It was purchased about the year 1800, of Mr. Foljambe, deputy clerk of the peace for the West Riding of York, and now is the property of John Dutton, Esq. The hall is divided into small tenements, occupied by labourers. Tapton-grove, near Chesterfield, in the chapelry, was built by the late Avery Jebb, Esq., and now is the property and residence of his son, Richard Jebb, Esq. The chapel was re-built in 1808; the tower had been built at the expence of Joshua Jebb, Esq., in 1796. This chapel was twice augmented by lot, in 1737, an 1753; and a third time by subscription, in 1762, when the sum of 500 pounds, including Queen Anne's bounty, was laid out in the purchase of an estate in Ashover. The minister is appointed by the vicar of Chesterfield. Temple-Normanton lies three miles from Chesterfield, on the road to Mansfield. The manor, which belonged to the Knights Templars, and afterwards to the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem was granted, in 1563, to George, Earl of Shrewsbury. It is probable that the Leakes purchased it of the Shrewsbury family; it is now the property of the Marchioness of Ormond, whose ancestor, Godfrey Clarke, purchased the manor of Normanton, with Sutton, etc., of the trustees of the last Earl of Scarsdale, in 1742. The chapel at this place is understood to have been originally a domestic chapel, belonging to the lords of the manor of Tupton, in the adjoining parish of North Winfield. It is now considered a chapel of ease to Chesterfield. In consequence of a benefaction given by Mrs. Jane Lord, widow of the late Wiliam Allwood Lord, Esq., the partonage of the chapel, with consent of the vicar of Chesterfield, and with the approbation of the Bishop of the diocese, was vested in Mr. Lord's family, to whom it now belongs. Wingerworth, another chapelry of Chesterfield, lies about three miles south from that town. The manor was in the family of Brailsford as early as the reign of Henry II. At a later period, it belonged to the Curzons, of whom it was purchased in the reign of Henry VIII.by Nicholas Hunloke. His grandson, Henry Hunloke, Esq., being then at a very advanced age, died suddenly at Ilkeston, in this county, in the presence of King James I, to whom as sheriff of the county, he went to pay his respects, and attended thus far on his progress in the year 1624. His son Henry, who, according to the account in the Baronetages, could have been only four years of age, at the time of his father's death, distinguished himself as a zealous Royalist, raised a troop of horse at his own expence for Colonel Frecheville's regiment, of which he was Lieutenant-Colonel, and distinguished himself at the Battle of Edge-hill, where he was knighted on the field, and soon after (in the same year of 1642) created a Baronet. The late Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, of Wingerworth-hall, the fifth Baronet, died in 1816, and was succeeded, in title and estate, by his son Henry, born in 1812. Wingerworth-hall was taken possession of for the Parliament, and garrisoned in the year 1643.It is said that the estate, although sequestered, was preserved from injury by Colonel Michel, a parliamentary officer, who married the widow of the loyal Sir Henry Hunloke, who died in 1648. The hall was rebuilt, between the years 1726 and 1729, by Sir Thomas Windsor Hunloke, the third Baronet. It is at present, unoccupied. Stubbings, in this chapelry, is the property and residence of Charles Dakeyne Gladwin, Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel of the Derbyshire militia. In the chapel are several monuments of the Hunloke family. The dean of Lincoln appoints the minister. The Chapelry was inclosed by act of parliament in the year 1757. Among Dr. Pegge's notes relating to this chapelry there is mention of Anne Ash, who died at Wingerworth, in 1789, aged 104.Return to top of page [From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann Ayars, 28th Feb 2001, 6th, 11th and 17th March 2001]