- An eight-acre burial ground with two mortuary chapels opened in the Spital area in 1857 to serve Chesterfield, Brimington and Tapton. Now known as Spital Cemetery, many of the monument inscriptions are listed on their website.
- The Cemetery was managed by a joint Chesterfield and Tapton Burial Committee.
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2527 thru 2532|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2760 & 2761|
|1901||R.G. 13 / 3247|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary and All Saints.
- The church dates from circa 1250 AD.
- The spire was added to the tower between 1350 and 1370. It is called the "Crooked Spire" because of its odd appearance, and it does lean a few feet to the west.
- The church was thoroughly renovated in 1842-43.
- The church seats 1,253.
- Bill HENERSON has a photograph of St. Mary and All Saints at Geo-graph, taken in 2004. It shows the famous "crooked Spire".
- Holy Trinity Church was built in 1837-38 to meet the expanding population of Chesterfield.
- Holy Trinity Church was refurbished in 1889 and again in 1994.
- The church seats 400.
- You can tour the Holy Trinity Church website for more information.
- Starting construction in September, 1869, Christ Church opened one year later to serve the people in the Stonegravels district of Chesterfield.
- Christ Church became a separate ecclessiastical parish in 1913.
- The church seats 160.
- The Mssion church of Saint James in Vicar Lane was erected in 1896. It was used primarily as a parish hall.
- We have a pop-up window of
Parish Register burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- The first surviving Chesterfield Parish Register dates from November 1558 until March 1635, and a
printed copy is available as two volumes of Derbyshire Record Society Publications.
These two volumes are based on a typescript prepared in 1936-8 by Miss Mary WALTON, then archivist at Sheffield Central Library. The period she covered was up to 1600. The transcription project was continued in the 1960s, by Students at Sheffield University, and the combined transcripts, which continue until about 1800, are now lodged in the Derbyshire Record Office (information recorded in the first volume above).
- Here is a list of Chesterfield Parish Registers available
on Microfilm from LDS Family History Libraries. Film Numbers are reproduced
on GENUKI by kind permission of the Genealogical Society of Utah.
Parish registers, 1558-1971. Microfilm Number Baptisms, 1838-1886
Baptisms, marriages & burials, 1558-1672
Baptisms, marriages & burials, 1697-1812
Baptisms, marriages & burials, 1812; 1733-1788
Baptisms, 1833-1855; 1878-1908
1752143 Marriages, 1754-1847 1752144 Marriages, 1847-1874 1752145 Marriages, 1874-1901 1752146 Banns, 1830-1848
Burials, 1813-1915, 1921
Burials for St. Peter's Church, Calow, a
chapelry in Chesterfield, 1872-1898
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1612-1760
Baptisms, 1813-1833; 1856-1878
Burials, 1853-1921 (Includes burials for
St. Peter's in Calow, 1872-1898.)
Marriages, 1901-1917 (To 16 Apr. 1917.)
Marriages, 1917-1921 (from 21 Apr. 1917.) 2081284
Marriages, 1921-1928 (18 June 1921-9 Apr. 1928)
Marriages, 1928-1971 (7 Apr. 1928-11 Dec. 1971)
2103928 Bishop's transcripts, 1665-1883. Microfilm Number Baptisms, marriages, and burials, 1665-1804 0422195 Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1804 cont.-1810 0422196 Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1813-1824 0497397 Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1824 cont.-1835 0497398 Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1835 cont.-1837
Baptisms and burials, 1838-1855
0498050 Baptisms and burials, 1855 cont.-1883 0498051
- "Parish Chest" Papers for Chesterfield include
a thick-ish ledger for Chesterfield Union Poor Law - Churchwardens &
Overseers of the Poor, Audit of Accounts 23rd Jan 1845. The book contains
details of land & property, acreage, rateable value, etc, and a list of
Owners/Occupiers. My grateful thanks to Janet Kirk for this information,
and for the list below.
Examples (in surname, forename order as per the original):-
Owner Occupier Hancock Cornelius Anthony William " " Anthony George Drabble James Drabble James (2 lots of land & a weighing machine) " " Brocklehurst William Devonshire Duke of Bowring John Drabble James Bradshaw Luke Hancock Cornelius Cooper Joseph Outram Collis Sam Drabble Joseph Drabble James Drabble James (Hollis property & land)
- The church was in the rural deanery of Chesterfield.
- The Catholic church of the Annunciation was erected in 1854-74 in Spencer Street.
- The Unitarians had a chapel in Saltergate built in 1694.
- The Congregationalists built their chapel in 1822 is Soresby Street.
- The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1881 in Holywell Street.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel in Saltergate built in 1795 and enlarged in 1822.
- The Quaker Meeting House in Saltergate was built in 1673 and enlarged in 1770.
- The Baptist chapel was built in 1861 in Brewery Street.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
"CHESTERFIELD is an ancient corporate and market-town, and parish, in the hundred of Scarsdale, 150 miles from London, 48 S.E. from Manchester, 24 N. from Derby, the like distance E. from Buxton, 12 E. from Bakewell, the like distance S. from Sheffield, and 8 N. by E. from Matlock. It is a large but irregularly built town, pleasantly situate between two rivulets, the Hyper and Rother, in the beautiful and fertile vale of Scarsdale, and is the second considerable town in the county of Derby. The Saxon appellation of Ceaster proves it to have been a place of great antiquity and considerable importance, and it is imagined to have originated from a Roman station."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Chesterfield is a municipal borough, a market town and a parish 40 miles from Lincoln and 12 miles south of Sheffield.
- There's a traditional verse which states:-
"When Chesterfield was gorse and broomLeash Fen, or Leys Fen is on the high moorland west of Chesterfield, and said to be the site of a sunken market town, possibly of Iron Age vintage. Several sites on the surrounding moorland have already been excavated - for instance, Gardom's Edge, near Baslow - demonstrating habitation of these uplands during pre-history.
Leash Fen was a market town
Now Chesterfield is a market town
Leash Fen is but gorse and broom"
- The transcription of the section for Chesterfield from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Chesterfield was a first century Roman station. The Romans appear to have abandoned it after they pacified the midlands.
- At the time of the Norman Conquest, when the name is given as "Cestrefield", this was s small place, of little consequence.
- The town got its first market charter in 1204 from King John.
- The town got its first mayor elected in 1594.
- Transcription of section of Lysons' Topographical and Historical
Account of Derbyshire, 1817, for Chesterfield by Barbarann AYARS.
- In the late 1800s, this was a considerable railhub for both coal and passengers.
- The Municipal Hall on South Street was built in 1849 and held the police court, police office, gaol cells and the Corporation fire station.
- Much of Chesterfield has been redeveloped, improved or relocated in the past 100 years. Streets your ancestors lived on may no longer exist.
- An Isolation Hospital was built here in 1904 by the Chesterfield Corporation at Hasland. It contained 38 beds.
- The Chesterfield and North Derbyshire Hospital was built in 1859 in Holywell Street, enlarged in 1872, 1892 and again in 1902.
- Hospitals were not required to archive patient information, but the Archives may hold some administrative and financial data.
- Some French Prisoners of War were held here during the Napoleonic Wars.
- In 1912, A Squadron of the Derbyshire Yeomanry had their headquearters here. Major Lord Henry CAVENDISH-BENTINCK was commander.
- The 6th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters had their headquearters at 10 Corporation Street in 1912.
- In World War II, the 1st Parachute Brigade under Brigadier Richard GALE was to be located at Hardwick Camp near Chesterfield2.
- The Traces of War website tells that there are 34 Commonwealth War Graves from World War I and 8 from World War II in Spital Cemetery.
- Christ Chruch contains a carved oak plaque "roll of Honour" to the men of the Stonegravels district who died in World War One.
There were two newspapers published in Chesterfield in the early 1900s. They were:
- The "Derbyshire Courier," started in 1828 and covered a large part of Derbyshire, published Saturdays.
- The "Derbyshire Times," which also had a large circulation and was published every Friday for Saturday circulation.
The Derbyshire Times is still being published. Check out their "nostalgia" section.
- We have a fine example of an obituary from the Derby & Chesterfield Reporter for John HALLAM.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Queen Elizabeth I granted the town a charter of Incorporation in 1594.
- Bastardy cases would be held in the Chesterfield petty session hearings every Saturday.
- The parish had eleven almshouses built at various times. In 1875, these were all taken down and rebuilt in Saltergate.
- St. Luke's Home for Aged Women was founded as a memorial to King Edward VII.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became the center of the Chesterfield Poorlaw Union. The workhouse was built in 1839 on Newbold Road.
- E. EASTWOOD erected the Eventide Homes in Infirmary Road in 1907 for eight aged women of limited means.
- Chesterfield Wills and Inventories, 1521-1603 - one of Derbyshire Record Society
Publications, unfortunately out of print, but should be available for study via Inter-Library Loan (ILL).
- Chesterfield Wills and Inventories, 1604-1650 - one of Derbyshire Record Society Publications, published April 2001.
- The following information is a quotation from A History of Derbyshire, (Gladwyn TURBUTT, 1999).
"Chesterfield had a grammar school which was flourishing in the mid- thirteenth century and dependent on the parish Church. The first record of the school occurs in a letter dating from the reign of Henry III in which Henry, a clerk of Ashbourne, wrote to the vicar of Chesterfield thanking him for his assistance in securing his appointment as schoolmaster of the Chesterfield school...Only one other reference to a Chesterfield schoolmaster occurs in the medieval period: this is to Sir Henry of Sutton, described as 'master of the schols of Chesterfield', in a deed of 1337 and again in one of 1346-7. The school no doubt continued, probably under the auspices of the Gild of St Mary and the Holy Cross, until the dissolution of the chantries and gilds in 1548. The location of the medieval school is unknown. When the later grammar school was established in 1598, as a result of the testamentary bequest of Godfrey Foljambe of Walton, the chapel of St Helen's was apparently converted into a school house, which remained in use until the early eighteenth century when new premises were built nearby."
Author Leonie MARTIN has written a local history book on St Mary's Catholic High School. The book celebrates teh school's 150 years.
- Chesterfield has held a market since earliest times - the Sheriff of Derbyshire recorded an account of £1 2s 7d from the market of Chesterfield as long ago as 1165. The town's market place was much closer to the Church in the Middle Ages, and the church was used as a store for market goods. This is why in May 1226 during the Battle of Chesterfield, there were sacks of wool in the Nave of the Church for the Earl of Derby to hide amongst! The present Market Hall was built in 1857 by the Chesterfield Market Company and bought by Chesterfield Corporation in 1872 for the sum of £11,500. (Ref: A History of Derbyshire, Gladwyn TURBUTT, 1999).