CHURCH BROUGHTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CHURCH BROUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 10 miles to the W. of Derby. It is situated on a branch of the river Dove, and contains the township of Sapperton. The North Staffordshire railway passes within a short distance. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield, worth £228, in the patronage of B. Broadhurst, Esq. The church, which contains several stone stalls, is dedicated to St. Michael. Here is an endowed free school founded about 1745, which has an income of £30, and some other charities producing about £20 a year. Broughton is within the honour of Tutbury, in the ducky of Lancaster." "SAPPERTON, a hamlet in the parish of Church Broughton, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 10 miles W. of Derby, on a branch of the river Dove."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]