CHURCH GRESLEY, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2011
1861 R.G. 9 / 1962
1891 R.G. 12 / 2198
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"CHURCH GRESLEY is a parish, in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, 13 miles S. from Derby, 6 W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and 5½ S.E. from Burton-upon-Trent - the last-named being the nearest post town. The coal works and potteries of this parish and neighbourhood are rapidly rising im importance, and from discoveries recently made in the mines hereabout, highly beneficial results are anticipated. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir Roger Gresley, Bart. whose remote ancestor founded a priory of canons of the order of St. Augustine, in the reign of Henry I, and dedicated it to St. Mary and St. George. The parish contained, at the last census, 2,543 inhabitants, and the township 671 of that number."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covers about 5,510 acres and abuts the Leicestershire border. There is no village of "Gresley" or "Greasley" today. You may wish to read about the "Lost Village of Greasley".

There is an area south of the lost village known as "Linton Heath". Sue ADAIR has a photograph of the "Linton Heath Village Sign" on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005.

Moorgreen is a hamlet in the parish. Newthorpe is also a hamlet in the parish. Watnall Cantelupe and Watnall Chaworth now form one village on the road from Alfreton to Nottingham.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military History

in 1912, B Squadron of the South Nottingham Hussars was headquartered in Watnall Cantelupe, Major T. P. BARBER, commanding; Sergt.-Major H. J. HALL, drill instructor.

A photograph of Major BARBER is at the Yeomanry site.

The Chancel Screen was erected in light oak in 1919 as a memorial to those from Greasley who died in the First World War.

In the Chancel is a wooden board bearing the Memorial to the Second World War, in light oak and separated into the three services.

A stone obelisk was erected across from Maurice Lea Memorial Park, surrounded by trees, shrubs and seats.

The War Memorial dedication is pictured at the Roll of Honour site. Names have not yet been transcribed.

A more recent view of the War Memorial is at Geograph, taken by Alf BEARD.

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a list of the names on the two church memorials, please see the Southwell Church History Project site.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1831 2,543
1851 3,300
Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/ChurchGresley/index.html