"CLIFTON is a hamlet in the township of CLIFTON and COMPTON, and parish of Ashbourn, about a mile and a half from that town. Formerly a chapel belonging to the establishment was here, but the only place of worship, at present, is a neat meeting-house belonging to the Calvinists. The township contained, at the last census, 839 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The village is just off the A515 bypass just south of Ashbourne.