- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
- The church was built in the 12th century, but the specific date is unreported.
- The church seats 300.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1509 for all entries, but early years are in bad condition.
- We have a pop-up window of partially extracted Parish
Register burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Staveley.
- The Primitive Methodiss built a small stone chapel here in 1834.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1837.
"CLOWN, a village and parish, in the same hundred as Whitwell, is about three miles N.W. from that village, two S.S.E. from Barlhorough, and three and a half N. from Bolsover. In the neighbourhood of the village coal and lime-stone are obtained, and there is a small manufactory for sail-cloth; but the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agricultural labours. There is a chalybeate spring, called Shuttlewood Spa, in this parish; and a piece of water, called Harlesthorpe Dam, covering about four acres."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish covers 1,922 acres and includes the hamlets of Damsbrook, Hickin Wood and Halsthorpe (or Harlesthorpe). The village of Clowne has a website.
- A Description of Clowne has
been transcribed by Heather Faulkes from Pigot's Directory of 1828.
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Clowne entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Clown from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- The plague raged though the village in 1586 and again in 1606. The victims were buried away from the village in Monument Field.
- The village grew exponentially with the 19th century growth of the coal mines.
- Visit the the Clowne Roll of Honour site to see a list of those who fell in the two world wars and a photo of the monument.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).