CODNOR PARK, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CODNOR PARK, an extra-parochial place in the hundred of Morleston, in the county of Derby, 4 miles S. E. of Alfreton, It has a railway station on the Erewash Valley branch of the Midland railway. Codnor Castle, the seat of Richard de Grey in the reign of Henry III., and afterwards of the Zouches, is now in ruins. Francis Wright, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are coal-mines and smelting-works, and the land is rich in ironstone and other minerals. Near the village is Aldercar Hall, a mansion erected in 1668."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]