CODNOR PARK (ex. par.), Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2431
1891 R.G. 12 / 2658
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"CODNOR PARK liberty, with CODNOR CASTLE, form an extra-parochial district, in the same hundred as Butterley, two miles therefrom. The inhabitants obtain their chief support from the employment of the Butterley Company. There is also a considerable pottery in the vicinity, of which Mr. Joseph Bourne is the proprietor. Here was an ancient castle belonging to the noble family of Grey, of Codnor, the last of whom, Henry, a philosopher and alchymist, obtained from the credulous Edward IV, a license to practice the transmutation of metals. Population, at the last census, 637."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish is 132 miles north of London on the Erewash River, 12 miles north-east of Derby city and 3 miles east of Ripley.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/CodnorPark/index.html