COTON IN THE ELMS, Derbyshire
- The parish was in the Greasley sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 1963|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2199|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
- The church was built in 1846.
- The church seats 246.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1846. Earlier registers are at Lullington
- The church was in the rural deanery of Repton.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here built before 1891.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Greasley sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
"COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a township, in the parish of Lullington, about a mile from that village, containing 264 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Coton in the Elms entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Coton in the Elms from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- This place was an ancient Township in Lullington parish in Derby county but was incorporated as a separate modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Repton and Greasley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Swadlincote petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.