"CUBLEY is a parish (having no dependent township), in the hundred of Appletree; the village being situate about 6 miles S. from Ashbourn, which is the post town for this place. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew: the living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Marston-Montgomery annexed, in the patronage of the Earl of Chesterfield. The parish contained, in 1831, 471 Inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The village sits astride the old Roman road known as Long Street, although there is no evidence of Roman settlement in the parish. The principal village is "Great Cubley", with the hamlets of Little Cubley to the south and Cubley Common to the north.
You can see pictures of Cubley which are provided by:
There appear to be No Commonwealth War Graves in St. Andrew's cemetery.
Captain Henry Arthur CLOWES owned a large part of the parish land. He was Sheriff of the county in 1908. He is commemorated on the War Memorial above. He died in Egypt at age 48 while serving in the Staffordshire Yeomanry in 1916.