Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
CUBLEY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CUBLEY, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 5 miles S. of Ashbourne, its post town, and 6 from the Uttoxeter station of the London and North-Western railway. It is situated on a branch of the river Dove. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value with the rectory of Marston-Montgomery annexed, £523, in the patronage of the Right Hon. Baron Greene. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a handsome building in the Norman style, with lofty tower and four bells. There are parish and-Sunday schools. Cubley Gorse is a meet for the Hoar-Cross hounds. A market was formerly held here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]