DALE ABBEY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DALE ABBEY, a chapelry in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, in the county of Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Derby. At Deepdale are remains of an abbey of Premonstratensian Canons, founded in Henry II.'s reign by Serlo-de-Grendon, and refounded at Stanley by Geoffrey-Saucemere, or Salicosa Mara, in 1204, in honour of the Virgin Mary; at the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at £144 12s. The chapel still stands. In 1729 a silver dish, bearing the date 405, was found at Risley, supposed to have been brought from Bourges, in France. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, and in the patronage of trustees. The church is a small structure. There is a chapel for Wesleyans. Earl Stanhope is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]