DARLEY ABBEY, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 188
1861 R.G. 9 / 2497
1891 R.G. 12 / 2738
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"DARLEY ABBEY is a small village and township, in the parish of St. Alkmund, about one mile N. from Derby; seated on the river Derwent, upon which are a cotton-mill and a paper-mill, affording employment to two-thirds of the inhabitants. The church, which has been erected within these few years, on the summit of a hill, is a beautiful structure; and from this situation the prospect is extensive. A large school-room has been built, in which the boys are taught reading, writing, and arithmetic, and the girls sewing; this school is supported entirely by Walter Evans, Esq. to whose munificence the village is also indebted, for the election of the church. The township contained at the last census, 1,170 inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

This place is also known as Little Derby. The parish is small, covering only about 325 acres. The parish has its own website, but there is no history provided there.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/DarleyAbbey/index.html