DENBY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DENBY, (or Denbly) a parish in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, in the county of Derby, 4 miles N.E. of Duffield, and 3 S.E. of Belper, its post town. It is a station on the Derby, Little Eaton, and Ripley section of the Midland railway, which traverses the parish in various directions, connecting the smithies, potteries, and other factories with the works carried on near its northern and western boundaries. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £98, in the patronage of W. D. Lowe Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower and curious steeple. It has been recently enlarged, and 160 free sittings added. The charities amount to £50 1 0s. per annum, exclusive of the impropriation belonging to the almshouse at Derby. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel. There are endowed schools for both sexes, founded by Mrs. Massie in 1635. This place is celebrated for its collieries and ironstone cement. There is also an extensive earthenware manufactory for stone bottles. John Flamsteed, the eminent mathematician and astronomer, was born here in 1646; the observatory at Greenwich was erected for him, where he died in 1719."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]