DERBY St. Alkmund, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LITTLE CHESTER, (or Chester) a township and chapelry in the parish of Derby St. Alkmund, hundred of Morleston, in the county of Derby, 1 mile N. of Derby. It is situated on the Leeds railway and the river Derwent, and occupies the site of the Roman station Derventio, the Cestre of Doomsday. The wall which formerly surrounded it could be traced in 1721; but the whole of it has been removed by subsequent cultivation. The site measured 600 feet by 700. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £150, in the patronage of the bishop and crown alternately. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, and built in 1849 is a handsome structure in the decorated style. There are National schools for both sexes. In the vicinity have been found many Roman coins, and military ways led to Chesterton and Manchester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]