DERBY, St Peter, Derbyshire
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2490 & 2499 thru 2501|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2727 & 2728 & 2736|
- The Church of St. Peter was built in the 12th century. The street is now known as St. Peter's street.
- In the church is a Flemish chest from the 14th century.
- The church was restored and extended during the period of 1896-1900 and the tower was rebuilt.
- A new ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity was formed from St. Peter's ecclesiastical parish in 1837.
- A new ecclesiastical parish of Saint James the Great was formed from St. Peter's ecclesiastical parish in 1867.
- The church seats 700.
- Jerry EVANS has a photograph of St Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
- Victoria Hall in St. Peter's churchyard was run by the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) and was used also for public meetings. The Hall was opened in March, 1895.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1558.
- Marriages at St Peter's Church, 1558-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
"LITCHURCH, a township in the parish of Derby St. Peter, hundred of Morleston-with-Litchurch, county Derby, 1 mile S.E. of Derby. It partly gives name to the hundred. The Derby union poorhouse is situated in this township."
[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- This place was an ancient parish in Nottingham county and it was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1876.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
- With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Derby Poorlaw Union.