- CUNNINGHAM, Pat - Joan Waste, Derby's Martyr. Pecsaetan, 2008.
ISBN 978-0-9556325-1-8. Added 25 May 2008.
- AUSTIN, Michael - 'Almost Like a Dream' : A Parish at War, 1914-1919
From the start of the First World War until the Armistice, the Vicar of St Michael's, Derby encouraged men serving in the War to write to him telling of their experiences. Their letters were published month by month in the parish magazine and they have now been assembled under the editorship of The Revd Canon Michael Austin for a wider audience. The book also includes biographical notes and pictures of several of the men.
- The Cathedral of All Saints (known as Derby Cathedral), is a cathedral church and it is the seat of the Bishop of Derby.
- All Saints was founded about 943 by King Edmund I. The current Cahtedral dates from the 14th century.
- The cathedral was rebuilt in 1725.
- The cathedral was enlarged in 1972.
- Saint Andrew's church opened in 1864 and closed in 1969 and was later demolished.
- Saint Andrew's was designed by Sir George Gilbert SCOTT, and known as the "Railwaymen's Church".
- Derby also has:
- Marriages at St Alkmund's Church, 1538-1812, Marriages at St Michaels Church, 1559-1812,
Marriages at St Peter's Church, 1558-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images
of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the Baptist Church on Green Street, on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2012.
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the relatively new Baptist Church on Osmaston Road, on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
- Derby also has a Roman Catholic Church dedicated to Saint Mary,
- His Majesty's Prison was built in 1827 on a six acre site in South Street near the Friargate.
- The prison was built to hold 380 inmates.
"DERBY is a market, borough, and county town, possessing separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch: it is 126 miles N.W. from London, 56 S.E. from Manchester, 34 S.S.E. from Chapel-en-le-Frith, 33 S.S.E. from Buxton, 24 S. from Chesterfield, 16 W. by S. from Nottingham, 13 S.E. from Ashbourn, and 12 N. by E. from Burton-upon-Trent."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Derby entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- The transcription of the section for Derby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Transcription of section of Lysons' Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817, for Derby by Barbarann AYARS.
- There is a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2007.
- The town was anciently an amalgamation of several ecclesiastical parishes in Derby county.
- In 1898, all the small Civil Parishes in the town were incorporated as a Municipal Borough.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday at the county Hall.
- With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Derby Poorlaw Union.
- The following information is a quotation from A History of Derbyshire, Gladwyn Turbutt, 1999)
"The grammar school at Derby is believed to have originated as a school attached to the collegiate church of All Saints, but by the mid twelfth century it had been transferred to the care of the newly founded abbey of Darley... Occasional references to a schoolmaster occur in (the fifteenth century), but we have no firm information as to the site of the original school... The refoundation of the school dates from 21 May 1554, when Queen Mary, in return for a payment of £260 13s. 4d., granted the corporation of Derby a number of properties formerly belonging to Darley Abbey and to the College of All Saints, as well as the Church of St Michael... and the endowments of several other suppressed chantries and gilds for ... the foundation of 'a Free Grammar School, for the instruction and education of boys and youths in the said town of Derby for ever to be maintained by the Bailiffs and Burgesses of the same town ...' It is believed that, not long after this grant, the corporation built a new school building adjacent to St Peter's churchyard, where the school continued to flourish until it moved to St Helen's house in 1863.
"Apart from the grammar school for boys, the nuns of the priory of King's Mead - who were mostly daughters of the leading county families - ran a boarding school for young ladies which likewise perished at the Dissolution."