DETHWICK-LEA, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DETHWICK-LEA, (or Dethick) a chapelry in the parish of Ashover, hundred of Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 2 miles S.E. of Matlock. It is situated on the Cromford canal, and contains the hamlet of Holloway. The village is built in a valley, and contains a large mill for spinning worsted and cotton. One of the earliest reverberating furnaces for smelting lead-ore was established here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £93, in the patronage of T. Hallows, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a small structure built about 1512, and has a handsome and lofty tower." "HOLLOWAY, a hamlet in the parish of Ashover, hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 3 miles N.E. of Wirksworth, and 1½ mile N.W. of Whatstandwell-bridge railway station. It is situated on rising ground near the Cromford canal. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]