DOVERIDGE (or DOVEBRIDGE), Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 1957
1891 R.G. 12 / 2195
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"DOVERIDGE is a small village and parish, in the, hundred of Appletree, 17 miles. W. from Derby, and about 2 S. E. from Uttoxeter (Staffordshire), which is the nearest post town. Doveridge Hall, the seat of Lord Waterpark, is a modern and handsome building, pleasantly situate on an eminence, commanding a view of the town of Uttoxeter, the river Dove, and of the hills which terminate the prospect of the valley. The church, which is dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a small edifice, chiefly in the early style of English architecture: the living is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Stokes. The parish contaned, in 1821, 843 inhabitants, and in 1831, 792, being fewer by eight than was returned at the census taken in 1811."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covers 4,375 acres and includes the hamlets of West Broughton, Eaton, Sedsall, Ley Hill, Clownholme, Holtwood and Woodhouse. The village has its own website for visitors.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

 Year  Person
1857 John CAMPION, vict.
1891 David WHITING, farmer
1912 James GADSBY
Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Doveridge/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.