ECKINGTON, Derbyshire

Archives and Libraries

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2534
1891 R.G. 12 / 2770 & 2771
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Correctional Institutions

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"ECKINGTON is a populous village and township, in the parish of its name, and hundred of Scarsdale; the village is situate seven miles N.E. from Chesterfield, the like distance S.E. from Sheffield, and three N. from Staveley. The lands of this parish are chiefly appropriated to agriculture; in some of the townships scythes and sickles are manufactured in considerable quantities, and nails, in the village, but not so extensively."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The parish covered 6,934 acres in 1857 and included the hamlets of Mosborough, Renishaw and Troway. Troway had a colliery in 1912.

The parish is bounded on the east by the river Rother, with Yorkshire to the north.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Encyclopedias & Dictionaries

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Eckington/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.