EDINGALE (or EDENGALE), Derbyshire
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
- The church was damaged by a fire in 1881 and rebuilt that same year.
- The church is a Grade II listed building with British Heritage.
- The churchyard was in Derbyshire historically.
"EDINGALE, or Edinghall, is a parish, partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, and partly in the hundred of Offlow, county of Stafford, about 7 miles N.W. from Tamworth, and about the like distance S. by W. from Church Gresley. The church here is dedicated to the Holy Trinity: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the crown. The number of inhabitants in that part of the parish which is in Staffordshire, in 1831, was 177."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The village is considered to be in Staffordshire and the churchyard primarily in Derbyshire for historic purposes. In the 20th century, the parish was assigned to Staffordshire in a boundary alignment act by Parliament. See the Edingale profile under Genuki, Staffordshire.
The village has its own website with photos and current information.
- The transcription of the section for Edingale from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in Croxall parish, Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish shortly after those were established.
- The Derbyshire portion of this parish was in the ancient Repton and Greasley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- The Staffordshire portion of this parish was in the ancient North Offlow Hundred (or Wapentake).