- The parish was in the Carburton sub-district of the Worksop Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2422|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2647|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter.
- The church was rebuilt in 1771.
- The church seats 150.
- Andrew LOUGHRAN has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- David BEVIS also has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2005.
- The Anglican parish church in Creswell is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdelene.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of St. Mary Magdelene on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2011.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1599.
- We have a pop-up window of
Parish Register burials in a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- Transcription by Carol RYAN of Marriages 1800-1860 at Elmton.
- Transcription by Jon CANTRILL of Marriages 1861-1870 at Elmton.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Staveley.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Carburton sub-distgrict of the Worksop Registration District.
"ELMTON, a parish, in the same hundred as Bolsover is about 3 Miles N.E. from that town. This was the birth-place of Jedediah Buxton, the great arithmetic calculator. The church here, is dedicated to St. Peter: the living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Rev. C. H. R. Rodes. The parish contained in 1821, 352 inhabitants, and at the last census (1831) the number had decreased to 340."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is 9 miles east of Chesterfield and includes the hamlet of Cresswell. There is a photograph of Elmton village on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
Cresswell is a larger, more substantial place than Elmton village. Andrew HILL has a photograph of the Creswell sign on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2011.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Elmton entry under Bolsover from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Elmton entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Elmton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- There is a photograph of the War Memorial in Creswell village on Flickr, taken in 2006, but you can't read the individual names on it.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2011.
- The Traces of War website tells us that there are 11 Commonwealth War Graves from WWI and 3 from WWII in St. Mary's churchyard.
- The Traces of War website tells us that there is one Commonwealth War Grave in the Elmston and Creswell Cemetery from World War II.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was partly in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Worksop Poor Law Union.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1841.
- Bastardy cases would be heard at the Eckington petty sessional hearings.