"ELTON, a chapelry in the parish of Youlgreave, hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 1 mile N.W. of Winster, its post town, and 6 miles S. of Bakewell. It is situated at the base of Mouldridge Hill. Lead and small quantities of iron-ore are found here. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £98, in the patronage of the inhabitants. The church is a modern structure erected on the site of the old one, and is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and also schools. William Pole Thornhill, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1809."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Check out the Community Website.
Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Elton Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008. You should stop in at the hall and get a scehdule of current events.