ELTON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2541
1891 R.G. 12 / 2775
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"ELTON, a chapelry in the parish of Youlgreave, hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 1 mile N.W. of Winster, its post town, and 6 miles S. of Bakewell. It is situated at the base of Mouldridge Hill. Lead and small quantities of iron-ore are found here. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £98, in the patronage of the inhabitants. The church is a modern structure erected on the site of the old one, and is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel, and also schools. William Pole Thornhill, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1809."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

Check out the Community Website.

Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Elton Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008. You should stop in at the hall and get a scehdule of current events.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Elton/index.html