FENNY BENTLEY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"FENNY BENTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the N. of Ashbourne, its post town. It is situated in Dovedale, on the banks of a small stream which joins the Dove, near Ashbourne. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln, of the annual value of £124, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield. The church, an ancient edifice, of small dimensions, with a low tower, is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, and contains several monuments of the Beresford family-one of whom was engaged in the battle of Agincourt, and died in 1473. There are some small charities. Remains exist here of the old mansion of the Beresford and Cotton families. Bentley Cottage is near the village."
Ed. note: The church dedication above is incorrect.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]