"FERNILEE, a township in the parish of Hope, hundred of High Peak, county Derby, 4 miles S.W. of Chapel-en-le-Frith, and 5 N.W. of Buxton. The Cromford and High Peak railway passes in the vicinity. Coal is obtained in this place, and there is a powder-mill. Here is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists, and a National school. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."
The river Goyt, which flows through Horwich End and Whaley Bridge, was formerly the boundary between Derbyshire and Cheshire, separating the parishes of Taxal (St James's Church) and Fernilee. Originally, Fernilee was united with Chapel en le Frith, which was then a chapelry in the parish of Hope. However when Chapel en le Frith became an independent parish in 1297, Fernilee remained part of Hope, where it stayed until in 1898, when it was transferred to Buxton. Shortly after (1905) it became a separate parish, then in 1966, it was joined with Taxal, in the diocese of Chester. For the purposes of civil administration, however Taxal and Fernilee are now in Derbyshire.
You can see the administrative areas in which Fernilee has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.