Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|Piece No. |
|1861 ||R.G. 9 / 1961 |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2197 |
- An ancient parish church stood in Ingleby before the church below was built.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Saviour.
- The church was built in 1662 by Sir Francis BURDETT.
- A gallery was erected at the west end of the church in 1819.
- The church was closed in 1909.
- The church seats 170.
- P. L. CHADWICK has a photograph of St. Saviour's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2009.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1662.
- Marriages at Foremark, 1663-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Repington (or Repton).
"FOREMARK, three miles W. from Melbourn, is distinguished as having within its precincts the beautiful seat of Sir Francis Burdett, most judiciously and romantically placed, amidst scenery of a rich, bold and varied character, upon the southern banks of the Trent - the hanging hills being crowned by thriving plantations. The house is spacious, and its appearance imposing to a considerable degree; the pleasure-grounds are very tasteful, and lead down to a valley, through finely wooded avenues to the banks of the river. The church, here, which is dedicated to our Saviour, is a small, plain edifice: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir Francis Burdett. The parish of Foremark (including INGLEBY township, 163) contained, in 1831, 221 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
You can see pictures of Foremark which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Foremark has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Foremark Hall was built in 1762.
- Phil MYOTT has a photograph of Foremark Hall on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK329265 (Lat/Lon: 52.834996, -1.513077), Foremark which are provided by:
- During World War I Foremarke Hall was used as an army medical hospital.
- During World War II Foremarke Hall was used as an officer training centre.
- During World War II the parish was a "starfish" decoy bombing site. These were used to lure the Germans into bombing a site that looked like a burning city (presumably Derby), but where there were no real civil structures.
- There is a shared war memorial for Ingleby, Foremarke and Milton in Ingleby.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Repton and Greasley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Ingleby is a township in this parish, 7 miles south of Derby city.
- District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Repton petty session hearings every third Wednesday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.