GLOSSOP, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2548 thru 2555
1891 R.G. 12 / 2782 thru 2785
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Glossop is also known as Glossop Dale

"GLOSSOP is a village and township, in the populous and extensive parish of its name, in the hundred of High Peak; 184 miles from London. 50 N.N.W. from Derby, 25 N.W. from Sheffield, and 13 S.E. from Manchester. This village, which is one of great manufacturing consequence, is situate on a rising bank, springing from one of the deepest valleys in the Peak. The country around is very pleasing, and many of the views may be considered romantic: plantations abound in the home scenery, and the lands in the low grounds are fertile; but the mountainous parts are less productive."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The village lies on the Glossop Brook which feeds into the River Etherow.

Passenger rail service still serves the village, but most visitors come by car or bus.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Glossop/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.