HADDON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2539 & 2540
1881 R.G. 11 / 3448
1891 R.G. 12 / 2774
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"HADDON, (Over and Nether Haddon) townships in the parish of Bakewell, county Derby, 2 miles S.E. of Bakewell. They are situated on the river Wye, and contain several good houses. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1806. At this place is Haddon Hall, the old baronial seat of the Vernons, one of whom, Sir George Vernon, is celebrated in story as "King of the Peak". The whole building, which is still nearly perfect, is situated on a limestone rock overlooking the river Wye."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

The parish is about 160 miles north of London. Jarry EVANS meditates on a lamb in Lathkill on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2007.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Year  Person
1855 Thomas INGLEBY
1870 Francis WILDGOOSE
1882 Esther WILDGOOSE
1891 Miss Annie WILDGOOSE
1912 Miss Annie WILDGOOSE
1981 Robert GRIGOR-TAYLOR

Esther WILDGOOSE was born in Ballidon, DBY, circa 1816. She was the wife of Francis, listed above in 1870. Their daughter Annie was born in Haddon Grove circa 1847.

Return to top of page

Manors

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Haddon/index.html