"HARTSHORN is a parish (having no dependent township), in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, 4 miles N.W. from Ashby-de-la-Zouch. There are mines of coal and iron-stone in the parish; the manufacture of wood screws is carried on to a great extent by Messrs. Wood, Smith and Port, and there is a respectable brewery belonging to Messrs. Brunt and Co. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is in the early style of English architecture: the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl of Chesterfield. the Rev. H. W. Buckley is the present incumbent. Population of the parish, at the last census, 1,204."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Hartshorne lies on the road from Derby to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The A154 arterial road runs through the parish.