HARTSHORNE, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2268
1871 R.G. 10 / 3244 & 3245
1891 R.G. 12 / 2509
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"HARTSHORN is a parish (having no dependent township), in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, 4 miles N.W. from Ashby-de-la- Zouch. There are mines of coal and iron-stone in the parish; the manufacture of wood screws is carried on to a great extent by Messrs. Wood, Smith and Port, and there is a respectable brewery belonging to Messrs. Brunt and Co. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is in the early style of English architecture: the living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl of Chesterfield. the Rev. H. W. Buckley is the present incumbent. Population of the parish, at the last census, 1,204."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 580
1821 870
1831 1,204
1851 1,350
Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Hartshorne/index.html