We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Hassop - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
Transcription by Barbarann AYARS © 2001
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL; page 30]
The manor of Hassop was formerly in the Foljambes. The heiress of Sir Godfrey Foljambe brought it, in the 14 C., to Sir Robert Plumpton, of Yorkshire. Sir Robert his grandson sold Hassop in 1498, to Catherine, widow of Stephen Eyre of this place, a younger son of Eyre of Padley. Francis Eyre, Esq., the immediate descendant of Stephen, on the death of the late Earl of Newburgh, in 1814, assumed that title, and is the present proprietor.
Hassop Hall was garrisoned for the King, by Colonel Eyre, in the month of December 1643. There is a portrait at Hassop (now the seat) of his descendant, the Earl of Newburgh), of this gallant royalist, who distinguished himself at the siege of Newark; besides others of the Eyre family and that of Edward Stafford, Duke of Buckingham.
[From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 10th Jan 2001]