HATHERSAGE, Derbyshire

Bibliography

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2150
1861 R.G. 9 / 2524 & 2543 & 2546 & 2548
1891 R.G. 12 / 2771 & 2777
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"HATHERSAGE, a village and parish, is 5½ miles E. by S. from Castleton, in the same hundred as Hope, and 4 miles from that village. The branch of wire drawing, and the manufacture of needles, are carried on here extensively; and upon the Derwent, which flows through the parish, are corn mills, and one for the making of paper."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Hathersage is 160 miles north of London and contains the townships of Hathersage, Bamford, Derwent (chapelry) and Outseats; to which the chapelry of Stoney Middleton is also annexed (as of 1857). White's 1857 continues: This village has long been noted for the manufacture of needles, hackles, gills, pins, cast steel wire, and millstones. Messrs Robert and David COOK first brought the needle business here from Redditch on the 14th July 1811.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military Records

There are two Commonwealth War Graves in St. Miachael's churchyard, both from World War II:

  1. Anthony Condor SNOWDON, flight srgt., RAF Vol. Rsrv., died 6 Nov. 1945.
  2. Gordon STUBBS, flight srgt., 51 Sqdn. RAF Vol. Rsrv., age 21, died 9 June 1941. Son of John and Mary H. STUBBS.
Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Hathersage/index.html