HEAGE, Derbyshire

Heage - Directories spacing, Poorhouse spacing

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2513
1891 R.G. 12 / 2747
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"HEAGE is a township and village, in the parish of Duffield, and hundred of Appletree, 15 Miles N. from Duffield, about the like distance S.S.E. from Alfreton, and 3 N.E. from Belper. There is a mineral spring in the neighbourhood, efficacious in ulcerous complaints and for stopping inward bleeding. A chapel under the establishment, and several others for dissenters of various denominations are in the parish. The living of Heage is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the vicar of Duffield. The township contained, according to the returns, made in 1831, 1,845 inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

The village stands near the River Derwent. The parish covers 2,600 acres and contains the hamlets of Nether Heage, Cackleton, Toadmoor, Ambergate, Black-Horse, and Boothgate. The River Amber serves as the northern border of the parish. The name derives from "High Edge". The village is noted today for its restored six-sail windmill from the late 1700s.

Nether Heage has its own website designed more for visitors than family historians.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Heage/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.