HEANOR, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2431 & 2435
1891 R.G. 12 / 2663
1911 R.G. 14 / 20398
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"HEANOR is a neat village and populous township, in the parish of its name, and in the same hundred as Ilkeston, about four miles N.N.W. from that town, eight and a half N.E. from Derby, and eight S. from Alfreton. This place, which was formerly a market-town, is pleasantly situate on an eminence, and the eastern boundary of the parish is watered by the Erewash river. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring coal works, and others in the manufacture of lace."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

This large village is 10 miles north-west of Nottingham and 7 miles east of Belper. Langley Mill is a village, partly in Heanor parish and partly in Eastwood parish, Nottinghamshire. Aldercar is a village in Heanor parish just north of Langley Mill.

Railway passenger service ceased here in 1939.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a photograph of the Aldercar War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Return to top of page

Newspapers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Heanor/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.