"HILTON is a small village and township, in the parish of Marston-upon-Dove, in the same hundred as Etwall, about 2 miles W. from that village. A school-house was erected here about 1655, by Arthur and Thomas. Harrison, and in 1781 the commissioners of enclosures allotted land for the support of a schoolmaster, for teaching the poor children of the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture: by the returns for 1831, the number in the parish amounted to 985, of which 651 were returned for the township."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Hilton Brook runs down the western side of the village. Part of the brook's course has been moved to the west to bypass the village.