HILTON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 1958
1891 R.G. 12 / 2196
Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"HILTON is a small village and township, in the parish of Marston-upon-Dove, in the same hundred as Etwall, about 2 miles W. from that village. A school-house was erected here about 1655, by Arthur and Thomas. Harrison, and in 1781 the commissioners of enclosures allotted land for the support of a schoolmaster, for teaching the poor children of the parish. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture: by the returns for 1831, the number in the parish amounted to 985, of which 651 were returned for the township."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Hilton/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.