"HORSLEY, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 2 N.E. of Duffield railway station. The parish, which is considerable, is situated near the river Derwent, and on the Derby and Alfreton road. It contains the villages of Horsley, Horsley Woodhouse, and Kilburne. Here formerly stood a castle, built by Ralph-de-Burun. The surface is diversified with hill and dale, and the soil is in general light. The Little Eaton railway passes through the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
John POYSER has a photograph of the Horsley Fountain on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.