HULLAND, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"HULLAND, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Ashbourne, its post town, and 6 W. of the Belper and Duffield railway stations. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in dairy farming. The land is rich and fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is situated on an eminence, and near to it is the National school. Divine service is performed in a small endowed building at Hulland-Ward-Intakes, which is annexed to Mugginton. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here." "HULLAND WARD, a township in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby. 5 miles N.E. of Ashbourne." "HULLAND-WARD-INTAKES, a township in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 6 miles S.E. of Ashbourne."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]