HULLAND & HULLAND WARD, Derbyshire
- The parish was in the Ashbourne sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District until 1901.
- Prior to the 1911 census, the parish was reassigned to the Brassington sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District until 1901.
- Check for census records at
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2519 & 2521|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2751 & 2753|
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Christ.
- The church was built in 1838.
- The church seats 273.
- Mike FOWKES has a photograph of Christ Church on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
- The Anglican parish register daes from 1838.
- The churh was in the rural deanery of Ashborne.
- We have a pop-up window of
Parish Register burials partially extracted into a text file for your review. Your additions are welcomed.
- By 1891 the Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here.
- By 1891 the Primitive Methodists had three chapels here.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Ashbourne sub-district of the Ashbourne Registration District.
"HULLAND, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Ashbourne, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Ashbourne, its post town, and 6 W. of the Belper and Duffield railway stations. The village, which is small, is situated on rising ground. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in dairy farming."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Hulland entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Hulland from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- The Traces of War website tells us that Christ Church's churchyard has 1 Commonwealth War Grave from World War I and 1 from World War II.
- This place was an ancient Township in Ashbourne parish in Derby county and it became a seperate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1773.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashbourn petty session hearings.
- With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Ashbourn Poorlaw Union.