"IDRIDGEHAY, a township in the parish of Wirksworth, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3 miles S. of Wirksworth, its post town, 10 N.W. of Derby, and 4 W. of the Belper railway station."
"ALLTON (also Alton), a township in the parish of Wirksworth and hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the S. of Wirksworth. It is now united with Idridgehay."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The parish is 136 miles north of London, 3 miles south of Wirksworth and 5 miles west of Belper. Kirk Ireton village and parish lies just 2.5 miles northwest of Idridgehay village. The following places are within the parish:
- Idridgehay Green is an area about 1/2 mile west of Idridgehay village.
- Cliffash is an area just south of Idridgehay Green. The name often appears as two words.
- Ireton Wood is a hamlet and a township 1 mile south of Idridgehay village.
The Amber Valley Borough Council has a profile of The Village Of Idridgehay at their website and includes information on transport.
Stephen McKAY has a photograph of the Idridgehay Railway Station on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2015. His photo caption provides a good history on railway access to the parish.
You can see pictures of Idridgehay and Alton which are provided by:
- The transcription of the section for Idridgehay from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- A transcription of the section for Ireton Wood from John Marius WILSON's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72:
"IRETON-WOOD, a township in Kirk-Ireton parish, Derby; 4½ miles SSW of Wirksworth. Real property, £1, 290. Pop., 156. Houses, 33."
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Idridgehay and Alton to another place.
Click here for a list of nearby places.
You can see the
administrative areas in which Idridgehay and Alton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK282497 (Lat/Lon: 53.04383, -1.580833), Idridgehay and Alton which are provided by: