Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Idridgehay and Alton
- The parish was in the Wirksworth sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- Census transcriptss are online at Wirksworth.Org.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|Piece No. |
|1861 ||R.G. 9 / 2518 |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2750 |
- This parish had a Chapel of Ease from Wirksworth.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James the Great.
- The church was built in 1855.
- The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1856.
- This church seats 240.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of St. James the Great on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2011.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1855.
- Copies of the registers are at the Derbyshire Record Office for baptisms from 1855 to 1943 and for marriages from 1858 to 1943.
- Microfilm copies of the registers are at the London Family History Centre for 1855 to 1975.
- The churh was in the rural deanery of Wirksworth.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built in Ireton Wood township in 1869.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Wirksworth sub-district of the Belper Registration District
"IDRIDGEHAY, a township in the parish of Wirksworth, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3 miles S. of Wirksworth, its post town, 10 N.W. of Derby, and 4 W. of the Belper railway station."
"ALLTON (also Alton), a township in the parish of Wirksworth and hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the S. of Wirksworth. It is now united with Idridgehay."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON Â©2003]
The parish is 136 miles north of London.
You can see pictures of Idridgehay and Alton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK282497 (Lat/Lon: 53.043811, -1.580832), Idridgehay and Alton which are provided by:
- The Traces of War website tells us that St. James churchyard has 3 Commonwealth War Graves from World War II.
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the War Memorial cross on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2010, but he just refers to it as a "Memorial cross". Other sources tell us that it is the war memorial cross.
There are three Commonwealth War Graves in St. James the Great's churchyard from World War II. They are for:
- Michael G. FERNAU, ldg. aircraftman, RAF Vol. Reserve, age 21, died 23 May 1941
- John R. WARREN, srgt., RAF Vol. Reserve, age 22, died 13 July 1942
- Nigel R. WHEATCROFT, flying officer, RAF Vol. Reserve, age 21, died 26 Nov. 1940
- This place was an ancient township in Wirksworth parish in Derbyshire.
- This township was incorporated as a separate Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- You may contact the Idridgehay, Alton and Ashleyhay Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wirksworth petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.