Open a form to report problems or contribute information
IDERIDGEHAY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"IDERIDGEHAY, a township in the parish of Wirksworth, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3 miles S. of Wirksworth, its post town, 10 N.W. of Derby, and 4 W. of the Belper railway station. It is situated among the limestone hills, in a district abounding in lead and barytes. Bricks are made to a considerable extent.
The living is a perpetual curacy* annexed to vicarage* of Wirksworth, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £56. The church was erected at a cost of £2,000, of which £1,500 was given by Robert Cresswell, Esq., who resides here in a cottage of the Swiss style. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Ecclesbourn House and Alton Manorhouse are the principal residences."
"ALLTON, a township in the parish of Wirksworth and hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the S. of Wirksworth. It is now united with Idridgehay."