IDRIDGEHAY & ALTON, Derbyshire
- The parish was in the Ripley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2750|
- This parish had a Chapel of Ease from Wirksworth.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James.
- The church was built in 1855.
- The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1856.
- This church seats 240.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1855.
- Copies of the registers are at the Derbyshire Record Office for baptisms from 1855 to 1943 and for marriages from 1858 to 1943.
- Microfilm copies of the registers are at the London Family History Centre for 1855 to 1975.
- The churh was in the rural deanery of Wirksworth.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built in Ireton Wood township in 1869.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Ripley sub-district of the Belper Registration District
"IDERIDGEHAY, a township in the parish of Wirksworth, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 3 miles S. of Wirksworth, its post town, 10 N.W. of Derby, and 4 W. of the Belper railway station." "ALLTON (also Alton), a township in the parish of Wirksworth and hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the S. of Wirksworth. It is now united with Idridgehay."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Idridgehay entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Ideridgehay from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- This place was an ancient township in Wirksworth parish in Derbyshire.
- This township was incorporated as a separate Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.