"ILKESTON is small, improving market-town, and watering place, of modern date, in the parish of its name and hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, about nine miles and a half N. E. from Derby, eight W. by N. from Nottingham, nearly 15 S. by W. from Mansfield, and ten S.E. from Belper. It stands on an elevated site near the river Erewash, commanding beautiful prospects in every direction, and its situation is considered remarkably healthy. Both the Erewash and the Nutbrook canals pass through the parish, affording a communication with the rivers Trent and Mersey. This place was anciently called Elchestane, and obtained a grant for a market and fair so early as 1251."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is about 125 miles north of the city of London. The parish contains the hamlet of Hallam Fields 2 miles south-east of the town. Garth NEWTON has a photograph of the Ilkeston Market Place on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2003.