KILLAMARSH, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KILLAMARSH, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 2 miles N.E. of Eckington, its post town and railway station, 8 N.E. of Chesterfield, and 9 S.E. of Sheffield. It is situated on the Chesterfield canal, near the Leeds railway. There are extensive collieries and iron forges, also brickfields, which together employ the chief part of its inhabitants. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Chinewoldemaresc. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a stone structure with a square tower. The chancel has been entirely rebuilt, and contains an E. window by Warrington. The church is situated on the outskirts of the village. The parochial charities produce about £91 per annum, £22 of which is the endowment of a free school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]