"KNIVETON, a parish in the hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 3½ miles N.E. of Ashbourne, its railway station and post town. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton mills. Lime-burning is carried on. The land is chiefly rich pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £64. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, with a low spired tower. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum, including the endowment of Hurd's school, &c. There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The parish lies 150 miles north of London and 6 miles south-west of Wirkswirth. The parish covers 1,974 acres. The village is mostly within the Kniveton Conservation Area originally established in 1998.
Nikki MAHADEVAN has a photograph of the Village Hall and School on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2006.