KNIVETON, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2521
1891 R.G. 12 / 2753
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"KNIVETON, a parish in the hundred of Wirksworth, county Derby, 3½ miles N.E. of Ashbourne, its railway station and post town. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cotton mills. Lime-burning is carried on. The land is chiefly rich pasture. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £64. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice, with a low spired tower. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum, including the endowment of Hurd's school, &c. There is a National school."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

The parish lies 150 miles north of London and 6 miles south-west of Wirkswirth. The parish covers 1,974 acres. The village is mostly within the Kniveton Conservation Area originally established in 1998.

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Kniveton/index.html