LANGWITH, Derbyshire

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2422 & 2424
1891 R.G. 12 / 2647
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

"UPPER LANGWITH, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 6 miles N.W. of Mansfield, its post town, and 9 S.E. of Chesterfield. It is a small irregularly built village, and is wholly agricultural."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

The parish is on the Poulter River bordering Nottinghamshire, lies 3 miles south-east of Bolsover and covers 1,444 acres. Langwith today is actually a collection of four villages which extend into Nottinghamshire.

Return to top of page

Directories

LANGWITH, commonly called Upper Langwith, is a parish and scattered village on the border of Nottinghamshire, 6 miles S. by W. from Mansfield, and 3 miles S.E. from Bolsover, contains 1,444 acres of land, including 261 acres of wood, 39 houses, and 194 inhabitants, of whom 101 were males and 93 females.

Surnames included in the directory of (Upper) Langwith:
BURTON, CHARLESWORTH, JARVIS, MOODY, REVILL, TIMONS, BARGH, BROWN, BUNTING, LUDLOW, TURNER, VICKERS and WOOD.

Return to top of page

Gazetteers

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page
URL of this page: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Langwith/index.html

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.